Thursday, July 23, 2009

Power Wheels Makeover

I decided to post this today to join in with Kimba over at a soft place to land. I love all of her DIY projects and she has inspired me to find things around my house that I can make new again. When our daughter turned 3 we purchased her a Barbie Jeep, she used it a lot and we felt like we got our money out of it, she grew up and it sat outside in the weather for probably two years. Our niece turned 3 in June and I really wanted to get her a power wheels however we have found Dave Ramsey since our daughter was 3 so no new power wheels for her. I did find some plastic spray paint at Wal Mart and this is where my project began.


I first removed any parts that would come off, most were held on by screws. Then masked off anything that would not come off. The wheels and steering wheel seemed to be the only thing that would not come off, they may have if I would have tried harder but I did not want to break them.

Then I painted the jeep, first I spray painted the bottom of it let it dry then flipped it over and painted the top. I did not take pictures of this part but after it all dried I starting putting the parts back on. I also found some vinyl wall stickers at Wal Mart to decorate with. I am not sure if the finished product would stand up to weather, but my this will be kept in the garage so I was not really worried about that. I was really happy with the finished product and I think that she has the most unique jeep on the block!! All the parts of the jeep still worked but I did purchase a new battery for it as that was the only thing that needed replaced.








7 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I have seen these at yard sales and wondered if this was possible....you proved it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute. My girls had one w/out the custom paint job. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo smart! It looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute - it even has my daughter's name on it;). Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really adorable! My little girl is only 1, so not big enough for a Jeep, but I'll be keeping this in mind for a couple years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job. Dave Ramsey would be so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got this same Barbie jeep from someone for free (I just need a new battery). I was going to give it to my nieces but their mom just wants to wait until next year and get them a new one so I decided to try to spray paint it for my son. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I might just leave the wheels purple and the seat blue and the steering wheel green and paint everything else that is pink or purple lol.

    ReplyDelete